This comes from the March 2009 issue of Entrepreneur Magazine. The author, Sara Wilson, gives 5 ways to spur employee creativity:
- Engage employees from all departments in brainstorming sessions. I addressed this in the episode on brainstorming.
- Encourage and enable employees to pursue outside interests. This was touched on in the episode on leadership.
- Create an inspiring work space. This was mentioned a bit in the brainstorming episode in relation to the environment for the brainstorming session. And of course, having an inspiring work space in general helps spur creativity.
- Fund extracurricular projects or classes. Related to encouraging and enabling employees to have outside interests.
- Lower cubicle walls. This is similar to the traditional Japanese model where there are no cubicles, where peoples’ desks are just put together in a large room. The idea here is that it helps foster teamwork. (I would note that it’s also nice to have a quiet, private place to work.)